General College Search Resources
- The federal government has put together the College Scorecard site which allows families to compare and sort colleges based on different criteria, including cost, grad rates and income after college.
- Search colleges, explore careers, make a plan, learn what you need to apply and more at Big Future
- Peterson’s Guide University Search – the narratives are provided by the colleges themselves
- Colleges That Change Lives – a small group of colleges that provide outstanding student-centered undergraduate education
- Colleges of Distinction – website that promotes colleges with engaged students, great teaching, vibrant communities, and successful outcomes
- National Survey of Student Engagement – Provides information on what happens to students once they attend colleges and universities, not the high school statistics of entering freshmen. Results may be publicized by individual colleges in their own material, but you can see the criteria and list of participating institutions here.
- E-Campus Tours shows 360 degree views of notable spots on participating college campuses
- The Common Application for over 400 colleges and universities
- The Education Conservancy offers practical suggestions to reduce the college application frenzy.
- The online Guide to College Internships offers advice on how to find, apply for, and accept internships.
- The Summer Program Finder website is an easy to use resource to find academic summer programs, internship and research opportunities, community service and study abroad options.
- SAT and SAT Subject tests at The College Board
- ACT www.actstudent.org
- Test optional schools www.fairtest.org
- International students whose first language is not English will most likely need to take a TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language)
- FreeTestPrep is a free resource for test prep for SAT, ACT and GED.
- For those preparing for graduate school GRE DiscoverBusiness has a test prep guide.
Financial Aid Resources
- One stop-shop for all things FAFSA from the US Government
- Money Maze Workbook (formerly PNW Scholarship Guide)
- CSS Profile online
- Financial Managment Inc’s online EFC calculator
- Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE) info
- Innovia (Formerly Inland Northwest) Foundation (Washington and Idaho included) offers a list of scholarship opportunities specifically for Inland NW residents
- National Scholarship Search website
- Washington State GET program
- Washington State Scholarships at TheWashBoard
- A couple other online scholarship search sites are GoingMerrry, FastWeb and SimpleTuition, which also offer strategies for paying for college and comparing financial aid options.
- Debt.org offers articles and resources to help families figure out the financial aid process, from explaining the general process of financial aid, to scholarships and grants, and even tips for budgeting money while in college.
- Understand the types of Federal Student Aid available.
- What you need to know about loan consolidation by LendEDU.
- ShopSlueth has a page of resource links to various scholarship search engines.
- Questions about student loan consolidation? Check out this article on theSimpleDollar.com.
- For tips on scholarship searching and applications check out this blog on MoneySavingsPro.
- Are you a student caregiver? Check out this website that lists scholarships for student caregivers and here for specifics on the Caring.com scholarship.
- Listen to pod-casts on the financial side of life, (including one from Cathy) produced by financial planner Angela Furubotten-LaRosee, CFP®, with Avea Financial Planning, LLC.
- NCAA Division I and II – students interested in participating must register with the NCAA
- NAIA – Student interested in participating in any division must register with NAIA
- 1v1 Highlight Videos – Highlight videos for athletes in the college recruitment process
- Student discounts – Site has links to various discount programs for students, everything from discounts on tech stuff to student Groupons.
- Spokane Test Prep – has sites on both Northside/South Hill for SAT test prep
- Sylvan Learning–tutors in various subjects and offers ACT/SAT and state exam test prep
- College Financial Planning – Drew Schaefer, FMI Wealth, email@example.com or 509-443-5174